Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My female Rottweiler had a bacteria infection on her pee pee

Customer Question

My female Rottweiler had a bacteria infection on her pee pee area and I thought she limp because of that but her hip to ankle is swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes I dibut did not find anything
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lady and she will be 6 yrs next month
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lady?
Customer: Just that
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She went to Vet Saturday and gave Lady 4 prescriptions and her ears very bad too
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lady. Such swelling in Rotties too often indicates lymphedema - a swelling of protein-rich interstitial fluid cuased by impaired lymphatic function. Unfortunately, in this breed lymphedema most often is caused by either a local malignancy or metastasis of cancer cells from a distant location and those cells are clogging the lymphatic vessels. Lymphedema is often overlooked and so Lady's vet may not be familiar with the condition. Feel free to share our conversation with Lady's vet.

The initial database is extensive when lymphedema is present. It involves careful inspection of regional systemic veins, rectal examination to identify caudal (toward the tail) abdominal or pelvic mass lesions, thoracic and abdominal X-rays or ultrasonography, cytologic examination of regional lymph nodes or tissue fluid, and biopsy of affected tissues to rule out lymphangiosarcoma - cancer of the lymph vessels.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dr. has tested the bacteria, she give Lady antibiotics. Lady has arthritis in her hip as well. I like my refund back because Lady's Vet said that was not the case. Thanks, Carol

I contacted customer service for you.