Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

He is having trouble walking normally, he is favoring his

Customer Question

he is having trouble walking normally, he is favoring his right leg and when I lift him , he has pain behind his right rib.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound and he is eating well as usual and his stomach movements are normal, he is a 10 year old miniature schnauzer . I am giving him some joint support supplement, it seems to be helping him but I can see he still has pain
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Totto
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Totto?
Customer: He is always being a very healthy dog, that is why I am so concerned now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry, I made a mistake , is his left side in pain!

From your description of where Totto is uncomfortable, I would be concerned about spinal pain. The spine is rigid over the ribcage and then becomes very mobile over the lower back. The area where the two meet (just behind the rib cage) is a common site for intervertebral disk ruptures. A ruptured disk can be as mild as intermittent discomfort, to more severe with significant pain and lameness in one or both of the back legs. Joint supplements are wonderful for chronic pain associated with osteoarthritis, but will unfortunately not help if Totto has a ruptured disk. I would call a local veterinarian and get him evaluated today. They should be able to tell on a physical if it is back pain and then can get him started on very effective pain medication and anti inflammatory agents. The other possibility is musculoskeletal problems (rupture ligament in knee, arthritis, muscle injury), but that would not explain an issue with the back leg and pain on the side. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating my response. Take Care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your response.
Would you recommend xrays? Or the vet will see if necessary while checking him? Tks in advance

If there is obvious back pain, then X-rays are a reasonable next step to evaluate the disk space and the vertebrae. If there is no back pain but just a lameness, then X-rays of the leg affected is reasonable. It is really going to hinge on where the veterinarian finds the focus of pain. But they should definitely be able to help him be more comfortable while trying to sort out what is wrong.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill