Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I found this page on puppy eating albuterol and it might

Customer Question

hi I found this page on puppy eating albuterol and it might pertain to my dog. I have a miniature pinscher, yesterday as I was preparing my son's nebulizer, I dropped a vial of albuterol and my dog immediately grabbed it and ran, I immediately followed him and got it out of his mouth but he did puncture the vial. not sure if he ingested any, the vial was about half full. it's a small vial. This morning at 3am he woke me up to go drink water. he is walking and tail wags but he is breathing heavily and his heart rate seems elevated.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Rusty
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rusty?
Customer: no, he has no medical issues. This morning his breathing is a little louder and he wont' eat anything, not even a treat, just seems very tired.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I"m sorry to hear of this with Rusty. How long had it been between his grabbing the vial and his waking you at 3AM? The duration of action of this drug is up to 12 hours after oral administration. Significant toxicity can occur in dogs when they bite into the metered dose inhalers. Clinical signs of significant overdose after systemic administration (including when dogs bite into an aerosol canister) may include arrhythmias (irregular heart rates such as tachycardia/increased heart rate and extrasystole/extra heart beats), hypertension, fever, vomiting, mydriasis (wide open pupils), tremors, and central nervous system stimulation. Decreased serum potassium and phosphorus may occur.

Unfortunately, for a dog's biting into a aerosol canister, decontamination is generally not effective. If cardiac arrhythmias require treatment as determined by Rusty's vet, a beta-blocking agent (e.g., atenolol, metoprolol) can be used. I recommend that Rusty be attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would say it was about 6-7 hours. it happened around 830pm. the vial is albuterol sulfate .0083% 2.5mg/3ml. when I got the vial away from him, it was about half full or so. he is a mini pin and weights around 11lbs.My vet is closed today and i'm just wondering if he will be ok. He seems very sleepy now. I have to get to work for a very big meeting that I cannot miss and i'm panicking if it's ok to leave him home for a few hours.

It's difficult for me to prognosticate without being able to asucultate (listen to) his heart and check his serum electrolytes - potassium and phosphorus. He's symptomatic of toxicity and may remain so for another 5-6 hours. Can you drop him off at a veterinary emergency clinic on the way to work?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there isn't one available around here. I don't know what to do, I can have him stay with my neighbor, but I just want to know what I should look at for, symptoms wise. I can take him to the vet immediately after my meeting, it's just this meeting is something I cannot miss, for risk of my job right now.

You would look for the symptoms I posted above: "...arrhythmias (irregular heart rates such as tachycardia/increased heart rate and extrasystole/extra heart beats), hypertension, fever, vomiting, mydriasis (wide open pupils), tremors, and central nervous system stimulation." You've mentioned that his heart rate is elevated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will he be ok for a few hours, if he is sleeping? I will leave him with my neighbor and told her to call me if she notices anything. I just don't want him to die. :(

Most likely, yes, but I'm necessarily constrained by distance to be as accurate as I would like to be.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand, I just really needed some comfort, since his vet isn't answering. I even called the animal hospital and got no response all night :( thank you for your help and I will have Rusty seen by the vet as soon as I can.

Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok I will. I know you can "assure" me of anything, I just really needed a little comfort to know if he would be ok for a few hours. from what I read in many posts online (seems dog getting into albuterol vials is more common than I realized) it says that the small vial isn't fatal, but would have side effects until it gets out of his system. I will be at the vet's office the second I finish work.

There's a good chance that Rusty will have normalized by then. Keep me posted, please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you so much I definitely will.

I appreciate it!