Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog got hurt today running, he has not slept since 1pm

Customer Question

My dog got hurt today running, he has not slept since 1pm and is panting non stop. He is 9year old rottweiler with history of Ivvd. Gave him 2 tramadol, 1 metacarbonal, and metcam expired can a dog die from panting all night and not sleeping? I am worried about exhaustion, last ivdd episode he didnt sleep for 48 hours. Also gassy from swallowing panting. Emergrncy vet is 2 hours away and he is limping and yelps when moved. Seems like he hurt his leg but can be Neck too cause wont lay head on bed. Metacam expired nov 2015 made a mistake , have newer one.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Unfortunately, if you have given the expired one already, you cannot give the newer one for 24 hours as there is a risk of the older one having some potency and thus increasing the risk of harm and overdose if used together. So, if he is still sore and there is question of neck issues, it would be best to have him seen so injectable alternative pain relief (ie Buprenorphine) can be give. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, one night of being awake and panting won't be fatal but its not nice for Kaiser. And if his gums are pale despite the quick breathing then we'd be worried of anemia, heart or lung issues and need him seen urgently. As well, since it sounds like he is swallowing air has he breaths so quickly, we need to keep an eye that he doesn’t cause himself bloat. So, any belly pain, again paling of his gums, or non-productive vomiting /retching and we’d need to have him seen urgently for that too.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )