Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dont know how to administer buprenex suspension to small

Customer Question

dont know how to administer buprenex suspension to small dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: he has hemangiosarcoma
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: its his spleen thats affected, I noticed hes breathing rapidly so believe that to be a sign of pain
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cruiser age 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cruiser?
Customer: hes had this for a while also is taking yunnan bayoiu and Coriolus mushrooms. Helped for quite a while but now I notice breathing problems, like trying to catch his breath, I have been given buprenex and metacam. which would be best
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if you think he has pain, then the Buprenex is a stronger pain relief treatment. In fact, we often use it during surgery to keep them comfortable. In regards ***** ***** we usually have owners give this into the mouth or under the tongue. It doesn't need to be swallowed since it will be absorbed by the gums/oral tissues. And it is best it isn't swallowed since stomach acid will degrade it. So, that is the best option provided his panting isn't accompanied by paling of his gums (a sign that internal bleeding from the tumor is causing these signs and would mean he needs to be seen urgently). Though as long as he is eating, he could also have the Metacam. Both drugs can be given together but we just need food in his stomach for the Metacam.

So, Buprenex is stronger but both can be used at the same time for pain. But do check Cruiser's gums because if those are pale and he is struggling to breathe, then we have a bleed and need him seen right away.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )