Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

Standard poodle. 11 years SF. hw neg. Last bloodwork was 2

Customer Question

Standard poodle. 11 years SF. hw neg. Last bloodwork was 2 yrs ago...CBC and 12 Chem (normal). History of gagging on tracheal palpation (assumed collapsing trachea). Today we have a deep wet cough resulting in vomiting white foam. mm=pink temp 103.9 CRT < 2 & BAR. Haven't tried to offer dinner yet... Worried worried worried :(
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

That would worry me too..... Can you tell me if she has a history of a heart murmur? Any recent anesthesia? Can you tell if she is breathing hard?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Labored breathing. No recent anesthesia. Cannot hear an obvious murmur and no history of murmur.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
At first worried I brought kennel cough home from work but this sounds wet and gross. No snotty yellow nose or eye discharge.

So, there are two things that your description makes me worry about. The first is possibly would be a heart related cough. Many dog with tracheal collapse can also develop heart failure. With the fever, infection is also a concern... such as pneumonia. Pneumonia can occur with kennel cough. Cancer is also a very distant possibleity.

Xrays will give you a better idea of what is going on and where to go from here. The bigger question is what to do now...

If a dog has a breathing rate of greater than 30breaths per minute at complete rest then there is likely a significant amount of fluid in the lungs... either from heart disease or infection. And I would consider it an emergency. Can you count the breathing rate? Do you have an emergency clinic that you can go to tonight?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we have an error. Let me check respirations
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We have an er. I meant

I don't like to wait when a dog has labored breathing because their condition can deteriorate rapidly. If you are absolutely unable to take her anywhere tonight then keeping her calm, cool and hydrated is the best thing for tonight. Any exertion can make it works.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We're about 42
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I gave her about 100 ml p lyte SQ
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
In worried I should take her into er tonight

That is too high. She needs to go to the er. The fluids won't hurt, but if it is her heart it won't help her. She needs a diuretic to get rid of fluids.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok then we'll go in

Best wishes!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank u