Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

What is a safe OTC Med to give a dog for mild

Customer Question

What is a safe OTC Med to give a dog for mild pain/discomfort? He is a Coker Spaniel. He was jumping from excitement when his grandparents came to visit tonight and now he appears to be gingerly with his hip. I will call his Dr. tomorrow.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

The only safe medication for dogs with pain over the counter is aspirin

An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.

You can also rotate warm and cool compresses to the hip in 10 minute intervals and light circular massage to increase blood flow

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Wilson feeling? I would love an update when you are able.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!