jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

Black tears on puppy face, Tabby, She is 1 year old. Black

Customer Question

black tears on puppy face
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Tabby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tabby?
Customer: She is 1 year old. Black tear marks come from her eve tear ducts
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I'm reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

Is Tabby a white or light colored dog?

How long have you noticed these streaks?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Since birth. A year ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will not pay any more money. Just answer my question or refund per your money back guarantee.

I'm sorry that you are upset but you never answered my question until 9 hours after I asked. Perhaps you went to bed right after posting and never waited for a response.

By the time you answered it was midnight here and I was asleep. We are in different time zones. It is 3:00 pm here now.

I really want to help. But because I cannot see Tabby I have to ask questions. So I will ask again: is Tabby white or light colored ?

You don't seem to be there again.

The condition is probably tear staining. There is a substance in tears that has a reddish brown pigment. On white or light colored dogs it can shows as

reddish brown or even dark brown.

There are a number of conditions that make the eyes tear a lot.

I'm going to opt out so that you can find some one in your or a closer time zone so that you can chat in real time.

I hope that another expert can help you and that you will be pleased with the results. After all, that is what we are here for.

Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm sorry your question wasn't answered in a timely manner.

Dog tears and saliva contain an enzyme that causes a chemical reaction on the hair turning it red, then brown and eventually black as it builds up. Of course, your dog might also have dark skin under the tears from a yeast dermatitis under the hair from the tear buildup. There are many products on the market to remove this. They are marketed as Dog tear Stain Removers. The following site has a good chart that discusses these.

http://tear-stain-center.com/

The website below has a different approach suggesting altering your dog's pH levels to prevent the staining which you may wish to look at.

http://bichonhealth.org/HealthInfo/TearStaining.asp

There is also an antibiotic that your vet can prescribe called Tylan that has been shown to be useful to stop tears and saliva from discoloring a dog’s coat. You will want to ask your vet about this.

If the skin under the hair is darker, then the constant build up has allowed the area to stay wet and your dog may have developed a yeast infection. You will want to clean the area real good, being very careful of the eyes while you are doing this. Trim the hair back and try some miconazole cream which may provide some relief until you can have her seen by your Vet.

When you have her seen, you might ask your vet to check that the tear ducts are not blocked leading to excessive tearing as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.