Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

He went to the vet today. We think he strained his back

Customer Question

Hi. He went to the vet today. We think he strained his back jumping around and playing and peeking over the neighbor's wall. We gave him a smallish dose of the medication from the doc, but he just won't eat. So we're worried.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Not really. He's 5, in great physical shape and very active. Except now, of course. He prefers to lie down mostly, apparently because of his discomfort.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is having such difficulties recently with appetite. It may have been exacerbated with the pain medications unfortunately

- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible

- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with this

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. I would advise discussing with your vet possible additional causes of the reduced appetite and your vet will likely dispense an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to increase interest in eating again if possible

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is your dog feeling? Were you able to get him to eat? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!