Dr H
Dr H, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at RAH
93727516

I have an 8.5 pound yorki who jumped off the back of the

Customer Question

I have an 8.5 pound yorki who jumped off the back of the couch She will put weight on it but is visably uncomfortable
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy and she's 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: She just recovered from abdominal surgery that happened 3 weeks ago after getting into the garbage. She's all healed up but after the money we spent on that we are a little aprehensive to take her back to the vet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr H replied 6 months ago.

Hi I'm Dr. H, a companion animal veterinarian happy to assist you today. I'm sorry to hear that your Lucy is not doing so great.

In toy breed dogs, fractures are a concern with any kind of trauma. Something as innocent as stepping on the dog or a jump off the furniture can still cause this degree of injury. Most often, with a fracture, the animal doesn't bear weight on the leg at all, but with some fractures, there can still be some weight-bearing. Understanding your cost concerns, I would still advise you to have your pet seen by her regular vet. It's not an emergency and can wait until tomorrow if necessary for you. That 12 - 24 hr wait can also reveal to you whether the lameness persists or not. If completely back to normal tomorrow, then most likely it was a soft tissue injury. In the meantime, keep Lucy quiet and prevent her from jumpking, running, using stairs or rough play. Keep her confined in a kennel or small room if you have to leave her alone.

If you have additional questions please let me know. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr H replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr H