Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He has lympoma lumps started with two now has four vet said

Customer Question

He has lympoma lumps started with two now has four vet said two were just fatty lumps wondering if i should get bloods tested. Jin is 7 cross collie staff bull terrier. Happy and healthy other than these lumps
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jin?
Customer: No hes happy and still lives to play and run
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you mean he just has a lipoma (fatty lumps) or lymphoma (a cancer of the lymph nodes)? Or both?

Are they growing in size and stretching his skin?

Are they causing him any bother or are they near where his body meets his legs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was told by vet they were fatty lumps one is the size if a tennis ball by his heart which feels like it has other growths he has one on inner thigh 2p in size a pea sized one on side of ribs and a walnut sized one in stomach under skin.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for clarifying,

First, I am glad to hear that they are non-cancerous fatty lumps. These are something we can often see in dogs as they get older. Often they can no bother but if they grow too larger they can stretch the skin (causing ulcers/infection/discomfort) and can become too larger to remove. Though if these are all at sites away from the legs (where removal can be difficult when they get too big) then you can choose to monitor these. Any growth and we'd want them checked but also want to consider removal before they can cause the above complications.

In regards ***** ***** question, diagnosis of a lump cannot be done via blood sample. If you want to confirm these for Jin, then the best way to approach this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove clear/fatty material, then this tells us that it is just a lipoma. Or if they remove pus, then that tells us that infection is present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or blood stained fluid is removed, then a cyst is most likely and can be drained or removed for cosmetic purposes. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained to tell us what is present and whether it is something that needs more serious treatment.

Overall, we do see fatty lumps pop up on our dogs. Though we can see other lump types that look similar, therefore if these haven't been aspirated/tested already that would be ideal. And if they are fatty and growing, then removal at this stage would be worth considering so we can avoid these getting too big to remove or more costly to remove for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.