Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

About a month ago my dog couldn't bear weight on his right

Customer Question

About a month ago my dog couldn't bear weight on his right front leg. Took him to the vet he did anti inflammatories and pain med and he did t get beetter. Took him back to get an x ray came back negative. Put him back on anti inflammatories and pain for a week. He is not better and now he can walk on his back legs he falls. What is going on with him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes they did. On Friday he wasn't a TO g normal and they expressed his anal glands. He can't even get up to turn around he is scooting .
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tug he will be 10 in November he is a miniature Schmauzer
JA: How old is November?
Customer: He will be 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about November?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** November and no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did not see him fall at all regarding his front leg I assumed it was from him jumping off the bed. The vet told me to keep him confined and he has been like that except to go outside for about a month. Friday however he was bearing weight a little on his hind legs after I took him to the vet to get his anal glands expressed and since Friday he has gotten worse. They did not see any tumors he has no other diagnosis he is eating and drinking. But now he seems to have 3 bad legs instead of one. The vet is referring me to an orthopedic/ neuro but I am taking him in to another Vet in the morning. Is he going to be ok tonight or does he need emergency services . I am with tug all night I won't leave his side he is sleeping.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I"m sorrry to hear of this with Tug. Considering the chronicity of his symptoms, I don't believe that an ER visit is essential. When both front and hind limbs become paretic (weak) or paralyzed, both myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) above the level of the shoulders and encephalopathy (brain disorder) are important differentials. The most common of the myelopathies in a miniature Schnauzer is degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") and in Tug's case such a disk would be found in his cervical (neck) spine. X-rays may not "see" the compression of Tug's spinal cord due to a disk. MRI if often necessary. His vet referred you to a specialist neurologist because such a specialist is best equipped to perform such advanced imaging.

Encephalopathy isn't as likely because there hasn't been a change in mentation (mental status). If the specialist disagrees after examining Tug, a cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis can be performed by the specialist as well. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As of Thursday he has not been on any pain meds. Would you say he is in a considerable amount of pain right now?If the diagnosis is a slipped disc what are the treatment options?

I believe so and so he should be currently be given a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam +/- a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol. If a disk is confirmed, considering his failure to respond to conservative care and the fact that he's worsening in spite of that care and the tincture of time, he would be a surgical candidate for decompression of his spinal cord.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Julie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?