Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog cut her tongue on a stick outside. It was a couple

Customer Question

My dog cut her tongue on a stick outside. It was a couple hours ago. She does not want to open her mouth but when I do, I can see the cut. It is probably 1/3 or a hald I am guessing. the blood drops are watered down in spot where she is lying down.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: Does not seem to be too much she is sleeping but I can't go to bed just waiting up to see how she is
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nola
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nola?
Customer: No she is wagging her tail a little but I can tell she only wants to sleep.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do think the bleeding is stopped since I do not see it pooling anywhere around her teeth. I put a paper towel as a litmus test and it was clear. Her body is quivering a little bit. It is possible she lost a lot of blood when she was outside playing with the stick and may have bleed for awhile before I even saw her. She is 1 1/2 years old. If she has had a lot of blood loss, can her body replenish it quickly? Should I be concerned knowing it may be 7-8 hours before she is seen when vet practice opens up?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought I would receive a call promptly. About to go to bed since Nola seems to be ok, breathing, alert, just tried and no bleeding. Can't wait all night for a response.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please do not call. FYI. I will check my message again at 6 am
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Nola, please?

Unfortunately, it's impossible for me to assess the extent of injury from afar and so I hope that Nola has had a hands-on exam already. Yes, splenic contraction can replace quite a bit of blood loss. Yes, there was reason for concern.