Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog who is a yorkie poo was given to us last year. after

Customer Question

My dog who is a yorkie poo was given to us last year. after my husband died he became a little quiet. He then was attacked by fleas and began to scratch. I used different shampoos, dog flea collars and nutritional supplements that were recommended. He then began biting his fur gradually. The shampoos became frequent, along with home extermination. Now th the back of his hind display hair loss with flaky skin. He has taken a few plugs out of his paws. Looks like the hair is trying to come back, but slow. What can I do? He is still pretty active and jumps around when taken outside, What can I do? Thanks in advance
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Milo Not sure of Milo's age. He was given to us while my husband was on hospice. WE were not given any records. He has only been to the groomer a few times. My husband died approx. 4 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Milo?
Customer: He seems depressed (we both are)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now if Milo's signs were triggered by fleas, we do need to make sure they have been addressed. Therefore, since shampoos nor collars tend to be great for managing fleas, if they are still present now they we'd want to use a good quality flea spot on treatment (ie Advantage Multi, Bravecto, Revolution/Stronghold, etc). As well, if they are in the house we'd need to make sure that the treatments used there contain IGR (insect growth regulator) to kill not just adult fleas but larvae and eggs too.

Otherwise, since often the chewing/itching is due to an allergic reaction to flea saliva in the dog's skin, you will need to address that too. To do so, we can try an OTC antihistamine (or his vet can dispense stronger immune modulating medication if the irritation is severe). Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Finally, to support Milo's skin health and encourage hair regrowth, you may want to supplement his essential fatty acids (EFAs). These are key to skin and coat health and you can give these via fish oil supplementation (Omega 3 & 6; which we'd usually give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. For example, a 10lb dog would want 200mg EPA + DHA). Otherwise, if he likes fish, you can provide these fish oils via offering a small volume of fresh salmon weekly. Or just in case he isn't keen on fish, then there are OTC alternatives that your vet can provide (ie Viacutin or Yumega) to support his coat's regrowth.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )