Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I was sitting here with my 15-year old shih tzu, who was

Customer Question

I was sitting here with my 15-year old shih tzu, who was wide awake, when all of a sudden he starts howling like he was in incredible pain with his head thrown back. This only lasted a few seconds. He seemed a bit dazed afterward, but nothing elicited pain upon palpating. He is resting comfortably now, respirations are slow and even.
Thoughts?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. It sounds like Odie may have had a short seizure. The other possibility is a short syncopal episode. Syncope can occur when there is not enough oxygen going to the brain and typically occurs with a heart arrhythmia that is not allowing blood to be pumped effectively. It is a little odd that the episode only lasted a few seconds, but still within the realm of reason. Has he been diagnosed with a heart problem or had any other abnormal behavior over the last several months?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is currently on enalapril
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No really change in his behavior.

Okay. So it is more likely that he had a heart arrhythmia that did not pump blood effectively and he passed out (syncope) and his head went back (which is typical for syncope). I asked about behavior changes because we can see seizures in older dogs associated with brain tumors, but we usually will also see behavior changes as well. I would get him into your local veterinarian as soon as tomorrow and get an EKG and talk to them about possibly getting a 24 hour heart monitor to see if he is having arrhythmias. There are other really good medications that he could be started on to help. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a few days, even after rating my response. Take care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I am going to try to get him in to see his vet in the morning.Thank you for your kind and timely response. You made a frightening event much less so.

Your welcome. I know how important he is to you. take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Odie. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill