How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19139
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

7.5 chihuahua ate a then piece of 70 % choc the sie of a

Customer Question

7.5 chihuahua ate a then piece of 70 % choc the sie of a quarter of a dime that fell off my fork on the floor?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 4 yrs old Owen..it was a very small piece
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Owen..it?
Customer: no he is healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hello again

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Owen very much, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him, he should be just fine ...

1. You see the rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark semi sweet chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when one ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 7.5 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 2.25 ozs of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. This amount is very much more than the small piece you describe

2. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Owen's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Owen is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions