Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is sometimes gagging and coughing and sometimes

Customer Question

My dog is sometimes gagging and coughing and sometimes throwing up. Does he have kennel cough and if yes do I need to do anything.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Has he ever had a an issue with coughing in the past?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no he has not had an issue with coughing except sometimes when he was swimming and he swallowed water

Sorry I was offline when you responded

Sorry I was offline when you responded I would be concerned if his coughing has been gotten worse then it is indeed kennel cough. This is characterized by coughing up phlegm and vomiting. The best way to treat most cases of kennel cough is to get him treated with antibiotics and a cough supressant. If the cough still does not improve then it is recommended that xrays of the chest are performed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I ended up taking him to emergency. He was breathing rapidly, coughing and retching, often with phlegm. He had a fever of 40.3 too. He was very lethargic. Still is. He was given antibiotics. His breathing is normal
Finally
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not believe I need to pay for this advice of yours... I can not click on the stars above to rate.. somehow its not working. I have tried everything.. even though you answered my question it was by then too late. I guess I expected too much.

I apologize for that. I did answer your question within 20 minutes of you asking it and unfortunately was not online when you finally responded. But your response was several hours after your question was posted and when I answered the question . Since you expressed dissatisfaction with this service I will flag customer service for you so they can help you out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I guess I panicked when I realized his breathing had escalated and he seemed way more sick and I just took him to emergency. I couldn't wait for a reaponse anymore. I know 20 minutes isn't a long time but I had left it too long and was too worried to do it online.