Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She is a 13 year old Golden Retriever but has been in good

Customer Question

She is a 13 year old Golden Retriever but has been in good health. She became lethargic today with it worsening this evening. She came in from outside about an hour ago and has just flopped on the floor. Typically she will move from room to room with me. She will not move and did not want to eat or drink any water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cutie.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cutie?
Customer: She had bladder stones and had an operation about 7 years ago and has always eaten the correct dog food since then. We have not noticed any changes with her toileting. So I do not think it is that. This is just unusual for her even at her age. We have some toadstools growing in our yard due to all of the rain and I was just wondering if they would be poisonous if she ate some today
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check Cutie over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is suddenly lethargic and she has a much reduced appetite makes me think that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get Cutie to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I will continue to watch het

That is your best plan for present but please get back to me if I can advise further ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Cutie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect infection ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?