Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

Our dog plungie seems to be going/ gone deaf, would warm

Customer Question

Our dog plungie seems to be going/ gone deaf, would warm coconut oil/water in his ear help to maybe remove a build up of wax. saw it today on Dr Oz for humans.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Plunger is his name (plumbers dog) he is 13 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Plunger?
Customer: No not really, he has regular visits with the vet that comes to coober Pedy SA. When speaking to the vet he says there is nothing that can be done. But if warm cocunut oil helps for humans would it help for plungie, we are thinking that he has a build up of wax in his ear. He has never had anything done to his ears before.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help. Unfortunately, dog ear canals are very different than human ear canals and a lot of things that work for our ears won't for theirs. If he has not suffered from long standing ear infections, then he does not have wax build up present and the coconut mixture will not help. It is very common in our older pets for their hearing to go. The three bones responsible for vibration (and the ability to hear) develop arthritis and do not vibrate like they should. As your vet mentioned, we do not have great treatments for this.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.

Hello, I wanted to follow up to see if you have any additional questions.