Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I have an American Staffy. He is about 5 years old, Every

Customer Question

Hi. I have an American Staffy. He is about 5 years old, Every year at around this time, he starts itching and biting his feet and legs. Every year I take him to the vet and am told the same thing. He has skin allergies and 'worries' the affected area until it becomes scabby and becomes infected. Every year, they take a small skin sample into the lab and tell me the same thing.They prescribe a small blue steroidal tablet, a topical cream 'Elocon' and antibiotics. This treatment fixes him, but only for the season. I usually pay in excess of $400 for this treatment and at the moment, cannot afford this as I am currently out of work. I rang the vet and they told me that they are unable to arrange ongoing payments etc. Is there anything else I can do? Or can you tell me what tablets he would be on so that I can buy online?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: American Staffordshire dog
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There are several areas between his toes and on the foreleg where he has bitten to scratch and underneath his belly around his nipples
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Just that he gets this problem around spring every year, I don't know whether it is the various weeds that are prevalent in our lawn or whether it is started by fleas. He seems to be scraching all over at the moment. He was flea treated last year for several month but I realise that the fleas will reoccur very year around this time
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you.

Sorry for the delay. I am having issues with the site. I need to retype my response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will wait here online

There are three things that I would do to make him more comfortable. First, get a Seresto collar on either Amazon or Chewy.com for fleas. It lasts for 8 months, is highly effective and is only $45. Second, you need to get him fitted for an elizabethan collar to prevent him from chewing on his feet and legs. This will hopefully prevent an infection. Third, start him on plain benadryl at 1 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours. You can keep him on this for several weeks. Just be aware that some dogs are hyper on benadryl and some dogs are sedate. And finally, I would get an oatmeal based shampoo and bathe him with it twice weekly. Allow the shampoo to sit on his skin for at least 5-10 minutes before rinsing of. Hopefully this will keep him comfortable until his allergy season passes. Please ask any follow up questions. You can post on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating my response. Take care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Will try what you suggest.

Your welcome.