Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

He is a 6 yr old mastiff. Diagnosed Friday with lymphoma.

Customer Question

He is a 6 yr old mastiff. Diagnosed Friday with lymphoma. He's in pred and cephalexin. He was acting fine today until he went outside and was eating grass. Now he can't get comfortable and is vomiting foam
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nothing out of the ordinary other than grass
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Triple H
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about H?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to help. I am sorry to hear about the lymphoma diagnosis. I suspect the prednisone is being a little harsh on his tummy (along with the antibiotic). Are you giving the meds with a meal? Make sure each dose is given along with food. You can also give famotidine (Pepcid AC), 1 tablet by mouth every 12 hours, to reduce stomach acid and ease some of the GI side effects of Pred. It will not interact poorly with either medication.

If the vomiting continues, please touch base with your vet in the morning, as I do not know the details of the diagnosis and do not want to overlook additional causes of the vomiting.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My question was if he could have zofran 8mg

I apologize, that did not come through in the initial post I received! Let me check my formulary for you.

What is his weight? Being a Mastiff, I presume large, but I want to check the mg dosing for you

For a mastiff weighing 100 pounds, you would actually give 25 mg by mouth every 12-24 hours.

You could try the 8 mg and see if that works, but you may have to give more. It is recommended to give to effect. We do not reach for Zofran often in the veterinary world, we use Cerenia, hence not having a ready response for you!

I wanted to follow up and see if you had any additional questions.