Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My ten month old dog has been vomiting since 5am and she has

Customer Question

Hello my ten month old dog has been vomiting since 5am and she has ate very little and it came up. Little water. She has eaten grass which I know they do when they are sick. That comes up. She has had more bile than anything. No blood in the vomit. I don't recall her going poop at all. I heard pepto bismol is ok to give. She weighs about 60 pounds. Do you have any ideas I can do at home without going to the vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: I don't think so. She has ate some people food. Chips, crackers, and I gave her half a tum. Hoping she would be better.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Bella isn't feeling well. There could be any number of reasons why she's vomiting which range from dietary indiscretion to viral/bacterial infections to a foreign body to inflammatory bowel disease...just to name a few causes.

But, regardless, I do have a few suggestions for you:

1. First, I don't recommend that Pepto Bismol be given to vomiting dogs because it contains salicylate, the active ingredient in Aspirin. It could potentially cause more vomiting issues. The older formulations were safe but the newer ones aren't.

2. Instead, I'd give otc Pepcid AC (Famotadine) at a dose of 1/4th mg per pound of body weight twice a day which may help with her nauseous and to reduce bile production. This calculates out to be 10 mg at one time for a dog this size.

3. I wouldn't try to feed her for 8-12 hours; just give things a chance to settle down.

4. Dehydration may be a concern but we don't want her drinking so much that she turns around and vomits it up. In 5-6 hours or so, offer her a small amount of water or pedialyte (which can help to replace electrolytes). Then only offer her small amounts every several hours or so.

If she won't drink, a small amount can be dribbled into the side of her mouth where's a gap with either a syringe or small turkey baster. Her fluid requirements would be 60 ounces within a 24 hour period just to give you an idea of what she would need.

5. If her vomiting appears to have subsided, then offer her a small amount of boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast and 20-minute white, boiled rice but, again, only a small amount at one time.

If she continues to vomit and/or has no interest in eating and/or is really lethargic and/or has abdominal pain when you press on her stomach, then a vet visit may be prudent.

I hope this helps and that she's feeling better soon. Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you for your input.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

You're more than welcome and best of luck with her. Kind regards, Deb