Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My chihuahua he is a full size chihuahua not a tea cup is 7

Customer Question

My chihuahua he is a full size chihuahua not a tea cup is 7 years old and has been sick for 2 days now won't eat I boiled a chicken breast and he will drink a bit of pedialite I did give him a Pepcid ac and I have some upset tummy liquid stuff that I gave him 5 CCs. His vomit was pea green yesterday and he stopped vomiting over night then about 8 this morning he vomited again and again about 11:30 and it was a brown reddish color. I am also out of town and not close to our vet please advise and he's not running a temp but his nose is dry.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What dose of Pepcid did you give and how often? What was the other medication?

How much does Rocky weigh?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Did the red material look like blood or coffee grounds?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1/4 of a Pepcid and the other thing is essential pet it has kaolin and pectin and it was like coffee grounds and no discomfort on his belly. Gums are pink and moist. He is drinking pedialite I haven't given him any water
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He likes crickets and I'm not sure if he ate one outside or not
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Since it looks like coffee grounds, can you tell me if you have seen any black stools from him?

Any chance he ate something sharp or caustic?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I only gave rocky a dose of each 1/4 of Pepcid and 5ccs of the upset stomach medicine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think he ate anything sharp. And it was dark brown stool yesterday
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

The reason I ask about his stools is because coffee ground looking vomit can be due to stomach bleeding. The blood when digested by stomach acid often had this appearance. So, we'd have to worry about things he may have eaten or a possible stomach ulcer or bleeding mass.

With these in mind, we do need to tread with care. The liquid you used is more appropriate for diarrhea but it will coat the stomach. As well, the Pepcid is a must for nausea but also will lower stomach acid levels if there is an ulcer. So, that especially needs to be given every 12 hours. Or you could use Milk of Magnesia (0.25tsp every 8-12 hours) in place of both to cover both bases.

You can also pair this with a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled

Finally, since ulcers can lead to dangerous gut bleeds and even perforate, we'd want be safest to have him seen. So, while I appreciate you are away from his vet, you may need to consider finding one local for him to be seen for this sooner. That way we can get on top of this quickly and get him settled. Just in case you need a local vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has lost weight he use to be 20 pounds and now I would at least say he's lost about 7 pounds just in the last few days
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Oh dear,

That is quite severe for such a short space of time and it suggests a bigger issue then just gut upset. So, if he hasn't been taking in food and is losing protein/blood via the gut then it could explain the weight loss here. And even more reason why we'd really want this seen to without delay if possible.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh I'm sorry within 3 weeks not days
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank goodness,

I mean the weight loss is still serious but I am glad it wasn't over 3 days. In any case, we'd still want to be careful with Rocky, plan to keep up on those stomach treatments but again have him seen if we can since stomach ulcers are just a worry here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is hospitalized for a couple of days he does have acute kidney failure. We won't know how far along it is until later in the week. I'm so sad about this
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

The poor love!

That is shocking to hear as he had weight loss and GI issues but no signs of increased thirst or urination (common signs of kidney problems) Hopefully, it has just been a mild kidney insult and his vet has him on IV fluids and kidney supportive care to overcome this.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.