jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I have a 13 month old male Ridgeback that has recently

Customer Question

I have a 13 month old male Ridgeback that has recently started salivating excessively. He otherwise seems in good health and spirit. Eats fine. Drinks. Plays runs...any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 8 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Excessive saliva and gulping and licking his mouth are signs of mouth pain, nausea or sometimes a seizure. Check your dog’s mouth for tartar on the teeth, possibly red gums, darkened teeth, broken teeth or something caught between the teeth or gums. If you find something stuck, try and remove it. If it is bad teeth, you can give him Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen.

Check just under your dog’s jawbone for a swelling and under your dog’s tongue for a swelling. This is where some of your dog’s salivary glands are located. If you find a swelling here, it’s possible your dog has an accumulation of fluid near the salivary gland called a sialocele which is causing your dog to salivate more. This condition does require your dog to be seen as soon as possible. You can read about it here:

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/sialocele.htm

If you suspect it may be due to nausea you can try some Pepto-Bismol which can be given to a dog at 1 tsp per 5 pounds every 6 hours for upset stomach, gas, or diarrhea.

If your dog becomes uncomfortable, you should take him into the vet. If it is possible that your dog ate something toxic such as chocolate, cocoa mulch, antifreeze, medications they will need to see a vet immediately.

You can read more about excessive salivation on the following website:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ptyalism-hypersalivation-in-dogs/page1.aspx

All that said, you can check the salivation gland but I suspect that isn't the issue. In addition at 13 months, he probably doesn't have bad teeth unless he broke one but check anyway. The most common reason would be nausea. That can be from a large number of causes. You could try the pepto-bismol to see if that helps. You might also give a bland diet tonight of boiled chicken and rice since that is easy on the stomach. If it is still a problem tomorrow, then you can have your vet take a quick look.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi John,
I'm just following up on our conversation about John E Adcock. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did review you are shorty after I received it. Whatever was happening has apparently elf corrected. I do appreciate your timely response and will certainly look to you in the future should any other issues arise.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 7 months ago.

Glad to hear he is no longer drooling excessively. That does seem to point to nausea being the cause since it self corrected. He may have eaten Something that disagreed with him. Some males will also experience nausea when they smell a dog in heat. They become anxious and often will even vomit up some bile.

Hi Again,

Just wanted to check in to see if you found my answer helpful?