Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

18 years old.can't get her to eat, but she is drinking alit

Customer Question

18 years old.can't get her to eat, but she is drinking alit of water. She has been confused for over a year and very wobbly. We thought we were losing her and had appointment to put her to sleep day after labor day, but decided to try anything we could fix her. She was eating chicken and rice with chicken broth for 2 weeks, then stopped.do we tried other thing,only short kuvef then she stopped. She just won't eat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Our sweet sugar
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Her vet mentioned possible kidney cancer, but we did not have any additional testing. We did purchase special dog food from vet, but she won't eat. She has had two episodes of pancreatic and her teeth are bad.last night was the first time she could not hold her bowels and she had diarrhea.i think it may be time to put her to sleep. Just so hard to know what to do. She can see, but hearing comes and goes ,but still minimal
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry about this issue that you're having with Sugar; I know how very distressing this must be for everyone concerned.

I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. What medications is she currently taking, if any?

2. Have appetite stimulants been suggested for her?

3. Why did your vet mention kidney cancer? If I understand you correctly, no blood tests were done on her back last month?

Thanks, Deb