Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

12 year old Boston terrier, won't lay down or rest. Picked

Customer Question

12 year old Boston terrier , won't lay down or rest. Picked him up and seems to be by back right groin he screamed .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Gunner. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• Am I understanding correctly that you already took him to the vet for this problem and tramadol and steroids were prescribed?
  • If so, how long ago was that?
  • Did the vet tack x-rays, do bloodwork, or other diagnostic tests?
  • Did the vet give you a diagnosis for the reason behind the pain?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply.Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I already had medication on hand to treat his arthritis in his paws. I am just trying to get him comfortable . This started yesterday afternoon so no we have not been to our regular vet yet. Since its Sunday I need to know if this is an emergency or can wait till monday
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He can't seem to lay down , he's been up all night pacing and we have all walked him several times all night. He is pooping and peeing
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Ah, I understand. Thank you for the quick reply.

I want to let you know that I've spent a lot of time working in veterinary ERs, and symptoms like you're describing are a very common presentation. Even if the problem turns out to be something not all that serious, it's worth a trip to the ER so you can get appropriate pain relief as quickly as possible. Additionally, sometimes these symptoms are due to something that can get worse without early intervention, like a slipped disc that could possibly lead to paralysis. In cases like that, it's much better to be safe than sorry.

With the way Gunner is acting, I would want to get answers and relief sooner rather than later.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Common presentations for what problems
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Most of the dogs we see who present with this type of pain have one of the following problems:

• back pain (undefined)
  • assorted injuries
  • back muscle spasms
  • disc disease, including ruptured or "slipped" discs
  • hip or knee injuries, including problems secondary to arthritis or even (rarely) tumor
  • bladder stones
  • prostate disease (enlargement, infection, tumor)
  • rectal issues (including tumor)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I know what it's like to worry, and I'm sorry the field of possibilities is so wide open.

If you decide you want to try waiting it out at home instead of taking Gunner to the ER, the best thing to do at home is to restrict his activity as much as possible so he has a chance to heal and rest and is less likely to cause additional injury to himself.

If you're already giving his arthritis medications and he's not getting any relief, I wouldn't advise trying to wait it out.

Does this help to answer your question at this point in time?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.
Hi Lyoung,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gunner. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with Gunner.

Thank you,

-Dr. Jo.