Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My shih tau started throwing up last night. She did about 5

Customer Question

My shih tau started throwing up last night. She did about 5 times very quickly, then once about 15 minutes later. She rested all night, then threw up white slime and foam this morning. She is 5, and has never had issues like this before
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Possibly- she tried to eat something that was on the road while we were walking yesterday morning. My husband pulled her away quickly, but she may have eaten it
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Minnie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Minnie?
Customer: I don't think so. She looks really sad- that's not normal- usually very happy go lucky
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she lethargic?

2- Any diarrhea?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess she is a little lethargic- she walks with her head down and looks sad. No diarrhea so far. No medical problems- weighs about 16 pounds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Any other symptoms?

2- I guess you did not see what she ate in the road, correct?

3- How many hours since the last time she vomited?

4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We didn't see what it was, but it was some sort of white food. She didn't vomit all night last night, then did this morning again. Her guns are pink
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry that you are having this problem with Minnie. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, as you may already know vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. Could it be as a result of what she ate yesterday? Yes, but, there are many other possible causes like a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. I am going to make some recommendations that you can try at home, if she continues to vomit then the next step would be a hands-on examination with a veterinarian. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above or develops other symptoms like diarrhea, abdominal swelling, profound lethargy, pale gums, etc. she will need to be seen by a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter