Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 15 lb. 6 year old hair dachshund has come into contact

Customer Question

My 15 lb. 6 year old long hair dachshund has come into contact with some fleas. This is the first time in his life this has happened. He has been bitten numerous times. I plan on taking him to the vet in the morning, but is it okay to give him benedryl in the mean time to stop the itching and what dosage? I have treated him with pet armor plus.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Morton's issue with the fleas. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is used in veterinary medicine to help with allergic reactions / itching. When I use it, I will use it at a dose around 2 mg per pound twice a day. I tell those owners that it may cause some drowsiness. In a situation like this, the most likely itching is due to the actual feel of the fleas moving and their physical biting. The best thing that you could do is a warm soapy bath to help get some of them physically off him. Your vet tomorrow will be able to provide a very good next flea treatment. They have the most effective ones.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Shouldn't the pet armor plus kill what was on him?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

The PetArmor in theory should kill the fleas that are on him. It is supposed to be very similar to Frontline Plus (what I use on my own pets), but I sometimes the over the counter products not obtained from your vet just don't work as well. Not that they can't work, but if the fleas remain, then failure of that product would be the reason. The products sold through your veterinarian are the ones that the manufactures have a strong line of support for and quality in making.