Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a Beagle that is 7 years old and she started out with

Customer Question

I have a Beagle that is 7 years old and she started out with a tumor on her breast bone the size of a walnut. the doctor said it was a fatty tumor and no need to remove it unless it gives her problems. It was growing and I went in to have it removed. the vet said the it had spread and it had a lot of tissue involvement in the arm pit of the dog. It is now 4 mos later and it has grown bigger and the vet said it would be a call with me to seek more surgery or put he down. She still has spunk like a puppy. a biopsy was done and necrotic tissue was found but no cancer or cancer like tissue according to the ? vet. Any suggestions what is my next step.....second opinion.....any clues?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a Beagle that is 7 years old and...
I have a Beagle that is 7 years old and she started out with a tumor on her breast bone the size of a walnut. the doctor said it was a fatty tumor and no need to remove it unless it gives her problems. It was growing and I went in to have it removed. the vet said the it had spread and it had alot of tissue involvement in the arm pit of the dog. It is now 4 mos later and it has grown bigger and the vet said it would be a call with me to seek more surgery or put he down. She still has spunk like a puppy. a biopsy was done and necrotic tissue was found but no cancer or cancer like tissue according to the ? vet. Any suggestions what is my next step.....second opinion.....any clues?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In this case, it is still quite possible that this a fatty benign mass. These often will grow over time and as the blood supply cannot meet the needs of the tissue overgrowth the cells die and lead to the necrosis found on biopsy. In this case, if she is happy in herself, then we'd not be rushing to put her down. Though it would be ideal to have a surgeon (a specialist is your vet isn't able to do so) remove as much of this as possible. It could regrow if they cannot get it all but removing as much as possible will reduce the risk this grows so big it stretches the skin, ulcerates it, causing pain and infection risk. So, that would be our next step if she is otherwise well in herself and not ready to leave us over this mass.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do I find a more specialized vet for more accurate answers. I live in Maine and would not be able to travel too far for answers?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

You could request a referral to the nearest vet school or referral practice. Otherwise, you can check the database for the American College of Vet Surgeons HERE to find a specialist to assess this for you.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** been a big help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad I could be of aid and wish you both the best. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is going to surgery tomorrow 11/4. The vet will take about 3 hrs to see if he can remove all of the tumor and submit it for testing. Thank you for your help and concern I really appreciate it. It help me to make my decision Karen
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update, Karen.

I am glad I could help with Josie's situation. Best wishes for her in surgery and for a speedy recovery. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

***Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )