Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I gave her near Dear Sorry, I gave her meat loaf and she

Customer Question

I gave her near
Dear
Sorry
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: I gave her meat loaf and she vomited and had diarrhea yesterday. I made rice and chicken boiled. I gave her 4 teaspoons. She kept that down. This morning I gave her the same amount this morning. I gave her 8 teaspoons at 5 pm and it must have been to much and she vomited again. She nolonger has diarrhea. She is better than yesterday but I am afraid to feed her again. I read that Pepto visual might work. She is only 7 pounds and is unsure what to do. She has no fever and is drinking a little bit.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I gave her the rice first yesterday evening.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is approximately 9 years old. Sometimes beef doesn't agree with her.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Based on her signs, this does sound like a dietary sensitivity reaction to the meatloaf but we'd also have to be wary of a possible pancreatitis with this. So, we do need to keep a close eye on her as we use supportive care. Now in regards ***** ***** question, Pepto Bismol isn't ideal for a dog with upper and lower GI signs (since the Pepto can irritate the stomach in nauseous dogs). Instead, consider using an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

After that has had time to absorb, we'd want to continue the small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. What you have offered today is fine, but you can also use protein options like boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free) if needed. As well, fiber (ie canned pumpkin) can be added to this to bulk her stools up more. Or if she is very runny, we could also use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. And as long as we can get her settled, we're happy but if this persists past the weekend or she has belly discomfort, then we'd want a check with her vet at that point.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.