Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

My English bulldog has an infected inverted tail. We are

Customer Question

My English bulldog has an infected inverted tail. We are trying to get it removed by her blood work won't come out perfect. The last few weeks she has been leaking blood from her anus and the tail. I'm wondering if there is a puncture in the rectum inside and it is causing the blood from the tail to seep out the anus. I've had X-rays but they just said she had a lot of air in her belly. She started throughing up yellow stuff last week and the vet prescribed Prilosec. we have to figure the anal seepage before we can get the tail amputated. Thanks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the English bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Gracie and she will be 5 in January.
JA: How old is Gracie?
Customer: 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: The tail is very impacted. She weighs about 54 pounds. There is sometimes yellowish stuff mixed with the blood coming out of her tail but the blood always come out of the anus and it's pretty red with a brownish tint. They have checked her anal glands and they were fine. She has been on every cream and antibiotic. Nothing is helping.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I noticed your questions posted earlier today. I wanted to see if you had been helped. If not, I'm happy to discuss Gracie's tail situation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not been helped yet.

Do you have a copy of the bloodwork? I presume a fecal and broad spectrum deworming has been done? Have they had you do a trial of prednisone for colitis for the seepage?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have a copy of the blood work but it showed her liver and enzyme levels were low. They put her on a supplement to bring them back to normal. She has been put on prednisone but after 3 days she started excessively panting and it go so bad we had to take her off it. She has been dewormed and everything. She is also on trifexis.

Thank you for the response. What food does she eat? I apologize for the questions, it helps me figure out what has been done and what hasn't to be able to provide you with some new options :)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She eats taste of the wild grain free and has been on grain free her entire life. We don't do a lot of treats because they vet said she could loose about 5 pounds so she only gets a little something with her pills. We wash her with medicated shampoos and besides this issue she is pretty healthy. She did start loosing some of her hair a few months ago when her tail started to get really bad. She's white so I noticed her spots showing through much more. The vets thought it to be environmental. She had a hernia when she was born but that was fixed when she was spayed. She also had cysts on her ovaries and a defect in her uturus but she was about a year and all that was removed. About 2 years ago she developed a small bump on her side. I had it checked by multiple vet but none where too concerned. It hasn't gotten any bigger over the years. She eats and drinks fine besides sometimes throwing up but I'm wondering if some of it now is caused from her licking the dog bed where her butt leaked stuff. We will be going back to our regular vet today and I have our breeder trying to help with a bulldog specialist. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

It sounds like there are two main problems, the infected tail and the GI issues (you mentioned that she intermittently vomits, which is never normal). I am suspecting she is dealing with IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). I think instead of a bulldog specialist, you need an internal medicine consult (with either a specialty hospital or veterinary teaching hospital). The difficulty is figuring out the timing of these issues (which came first and therefore which needs to be addressed first). The infected tail could be due to the diarrhea and anal seepage, which will keep the tail infected until resolved.