Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I just lost my husband, my dog started losing weight, I

Customer Question

I just lost my husband, my dog started losing weight, I thought he was mourning, but now he is drinking a lot of water and has dirrehea, and no energy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Brogan he is 9 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brogan?
Customer: No, he has been healthly
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear about your husband, however I have worked out an answer for you below regarding Brogan's problem.

1. While I cannot accurately diagnose his problem via the Internet I can give you the following general information based on my past experience of a great many such cases over the years. The bot***** *****ne is that drinking excessively and lethargy such as you describe would always be a cause for concern, the chances are some disease process is causing these symptoms so this is something you should have checked out. The diarrhoea can also be part of this picture.

2. What I can do though is to talk you through just some of the possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I know. This is the personal list I use when presented with a dog like yours, the chances are that the disease your dog is suffering from is here somewhere ...

A. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test
B. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !
C. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests
D. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests
E. Cushings syndrome

3. Since there is such a range of diagnosis the only advice I can give you is that you should have your dog checked over by your vet sooner rather than later. Sadly there is rarely any scope for home remedies in this sort of situation, however a thorough clinical examination and a quick blood test will very often shed light on the matter.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Brogan is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his weight loss and lethargy ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?