Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

How can a dog go without defecating?

Customer Question

How long can a dog go without defecating?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. This is an interesting one that in all reality depends on the situation. Some dogs can go days without defecating if they aren't eating as well or if they are physically upset with their situation. If a dog is eating and drinking well and not having anything else going on that is stressing them, most typically are defecating at least once a day. Can I ask why you are asking this question?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My dog is a Dachshoond and he cant stand on his back legs and has not have a bowell movement sence yesterday morning.

I'm sorry to hear about his situation. Did he become paralyzed in his back legs due to a disc issue? Has he seen your vet for this? Is he still eating and drinking well? Is he urinating? This is actually more important. When a dog goes down in the rear due to a spinal cord issue, they can actually have an inability to urinate properly and can need to be expressed on a regular basis.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he's been seen by a veterinarian, I just wanted to know how long he can go without defecating before it becomes a problem.Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He can urinate.He has spinal cord problems.

That is good that your vet has seen him and that he's urinating. As far as not defecating in a situation like this, it can be something that I wouldn't worry about it for 3 to 4 days. Again, if he's not eating as much, he won't have the material moving through to defecate as much. The spinal cord situation won't affect stool passage through the GI tract. He will defecate when he has the needed stool built up.