Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Have a dog ramp is hard the dog hasn't pooped in several

Customer Question

Have a dog ramp is hard the dog hasn't pooped in several days been giving meta-Meusel and pumpkin the dogs whole leg is filled up with clear fluid we keep draining it but it just feels back up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I haven't seen any wounds or punctures or bite
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nikki
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nikki?
Customer: I'm thinking it's some kind of blockage because the dog tries to poop but can't to the right side of the room is very hard
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Half of the dogs rump is hard and he can't poop it's been 5 days we have been giving Metamucil and pumpkin still no poop he had a little bit a liquidy poop yesterday the whole leg is swollen and filled with a clear bloody liquid we can drain it and it filled back up
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's like you're some kind of blockage
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The dog is 16
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The owner of the dog does not have the money to take the dog to the vet and have all the stuff done so I've been helping with the draining. I work in a busy wildlife rehab hospital and I deal with infections quite a bit as a associate intern I feel you shouldn't have a dog if you can't take it to the vet but I just want to help I don't want to see anything suffer I think the dog should be put down I'm thinking it's a tumor and I've been the one having to drain the infection it just fills fback up. my experiences with large birds and some mammals. My experience is not with dogs I'm trying what should I do? Does this sound like cancer or a tumor to you?Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You're correct in thinking that a 16 year old is dealing with a neoplastic (cancerous) process. The leg is swollen due to lymphedema - a swelling of protein-rich interstitial fluid caused by impaired lymphatic function. This most often occurs due to a local cancer or metastasis of cancer to the leg - cancerous cells obstructing lymphatic vessels. Thank you for trying to help this owner and dog but at this point you're enabling the owner. Please use my post as the reason to decline further treatment. This dog would benefit most from having the final kindness performed.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?