Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I was just online chatting with a vet assistant about my dog

Customer Question

I was just online chatting with a vet assistant about my dog lucky, but your site didn't like my ipad after I submitted my $5 deposit.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I did a search on your name and the last question that shows to this department was back in 2012 so something happened if you were talking with someone it is not showing up in your history. What is your question about Lucky?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is flinching his head and left eye is twitching as if being swatted at, this is not normal behavior for him. He does not seem to be in pain and there is no swelling on the left side of his head. He has been hacking as if something is stuck in his throat, but eats and drinks just fine.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for that information.

Is he able to walk normally or is he slow and off balance?

Does he have any history of seizure activity?

Has this been going on since last night?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Other than what I described everything is normal, it has been happening since yesterday afternoon when I got home.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its not continuous, but if you reach out to him it happens and the eye twitching is off and on when he is laying down and relaxed its better.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

There may actually be something in the eye like a floater that he is seeing and when you bring your hand near him it casts a shadow though I would not rule out any type of focal seizure going on. These are different than grand mal seizures where the whole body is involved. With focal or aura seizures the dog actually sees things that make them flinch. some dogs will also smack their lips or lick air and sometimes snap at imaginary bugs.

I would keep an eye on him and as long as he is eating drinking and otherwise acting normal when this is not happening, then you can wait to see your Vet for a physical until Monday. There may even be some type of eye disease that is causing things to look differently to the dog and your vet can pick that up in an exam.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Mike,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucky. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive