jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I lost my puppy vet...can't get the on-line question/answer

Customer Question

I lost my puppy vet...can't get the on-line question/answer part to work.
I am asking if a puppy (8 weeks) can change most of its highlighted color in 3 weeks?
The puppy I saw in the puppy place "gallery" at 8 weeks he had darkly marked areas on his apricot coat...especially on tail and feet...pronounced very dark. He had wisps of dark in his ears and
around neck.
The puppy was unable to travel on scheduled dates 3 times because he didn't weigh enough and then he developed a "small cough" which of course was treated with antibiotics.
We are talking 3 weeks...
they sent me "new" pictures of the puppy 2 days before I was to get him, today.
In these pictures he does not look at all like the puppy I bought from gallery picture.
This puppy has none of the dark markings...a little dark wisp on tail.
I know puppies can change color but I thought it was around 6 months to a year.
I am wondering if a puppy could change markings, so drastically, in 3 weeks?
(I have had 5 people look at the pictures and they all think it is a different puppy.)
The puppy place first said the dark accent marks were caused because he had just "had a bath." (He looked dry to me...no signs of dampness...dry.)
When I questioned them...they then told me of puppies changing color...I feel this
is convenient for them. They did NOT mention this when I purchased puppy and
I gushed over him and his markings.
I canceled this puppy. They want a "fee" for the breeder for all the "trouble" she went through...vet (which he should have seen anyway) booking flights...they were the ones who canceled flights and delivery because of weight...I agree...puppy needed to be healthy.
I really questioned the dramatic change in puppy markings and color plus the fee to breeder..I spent a great deal of money on this puppy, more than I can afford, and spent another great deal getting all the things required as puppy place told me plus extras for puppy.
The puppy is a male Morkie.
Thank you for your help.
Jo
P.S. I checked this puppy place out well...7 telephone calls...BBB gave a good rating...
in Florida.
I have to decide if they are telling me the truth and I want to try for another puppy.
If a puppy color and markings can change dramatically in 3 weeks, I think I better try another place...and get my money back...but are very hard to find a reputable place.
(Yes, I have tried all the Rescue and Shelters...live in small town.) Even Rescue site. But do not have puppy I want...those pictures kill me.)
They have worked on me hard to try for another puppy. I want to give them another chance and find puppy that has such a large variation in color it so it couldn't possibly change with in 3 weeks.
SO...can a puppy's color and markings change dramatically within 3 weeks?
Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 month ago.

Hi Jo,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

One of the problems with answering this question is that your pup is a mixed breed. Morkie's as you probably know are a mix between a malteese and a yorkie. Now maltese are primarily white. While Yorkies are generally dark at birth and they usually become lighter over time especially their markings. Now it is true that most yorkies change color gradually over the course of a year. If the dark markings you noticed in the pictures were very dark then I would not believe they would disappear in just three weeks. I would suspect a possible illness in the original pup that made the pup unavailable. However, there is no way to prove that fact because the pup is a mixed breed.

Personally being a mixed breed, you shouldn't have to pay a very very high price but I do understand that many breeders are cashing in on the mixed breed craze for designer pups. Again, with a mixed breed there is not way of anticipating what a pup might look like as it matures. I still do not believe the looks could change that drastically in 3 weeks. My advice would be to find a breeder close to home and get in touch with your local shelter and animal control. Many of these mixes do end up in shelters and need homes. Here are a few places to look.

http://www.localpuppybreeders.com/morkie-rescue/

http://www.saveayorkierescue.org/

http://www.maltesemaniac.com/morkie-rescue.html

http://aboutmorkies.com/2013/09/27/want-to-adopt-a-morkie-or-rescue-morkie/

The following site is temporarily down due to internet "attacks" recently in the news but will likely be up in the future.

http://morkierescue.com/

You might also check craigslist even though technically they are not supposed to sell pups there are a lot up for adoption. There are some in greensboro NC right now. If you absolutely want a very young pup and have to go to a breeder, try to get one close to home. Perhaps talk to a few vets in your area and see if they know of any dogs that are pregnant who might need to find homes for their pups.

I wished I could give you a definite answer on whether they switched pups or not. It seems likely but wet hair can look darker.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.