Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Episodes of panting and shaking which started last night.

Customer Question

Episodes of panting and shaking which started last night. Very clingy to both of us. Is having events where she suddenly jumps up and bolts across the room. Took her to regular vet a few weeks ago when she was exhibiting the same symptoms (except for the panting and shaking, that's happening for the first time). Couldn't exactly identify the source but suspected it was being caused by severe pain; gave her a cortisone shot and an RX for Previcox. She seemed better for a couple of weeks. She is about 11 years old, ***** *****/rat terrier mix.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about russell?
Customer: Her name is***** suspect she has arthritis in one or both of her hind legs/hips.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I believe that you're describing complex partial seizures (previously called petit mal and also called psychomotor seizures) which are described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and are associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these events and for just what you witnessed. Bella's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Bella should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should she suffer another event within 24 hours of a prior one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. She would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?