Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 16 year old Golden/Corgie is having grey stools. He is on

Customer Question

My 16 year old Golden/Corgie is having grey stools. He is on thyroid medicine and Tramadol for pain as well as 20 mg. pepcid and Rymadol (sp). Can you help me to understand what might be going on?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Riley (male).
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Riley?
Customer: He has a good appetite, voracious in fact.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Persistingly grey stools indicate a lack of bile salts in the stool. Bile salts are produced in the liver and stored in the gall bladder and so these locations needs to be evaluated. Bile salts and bilirubin are metabolized into stercobilinogen which gives stool its characteristic brown color. Riley's vet is likely to recommend a biochemical panel of blood and urine tests as well as an ultrasound of Riley's liver and biliary tract looking for pri***** *****ver and/or gall bladder disease and obstruction of the common bile duct.

His good appetite is a positive prognosticator although I do need to be concerned about both maldigestion (his pancreas not producing enough digestive enzymes) and malabsorption (his GI tract isn't efficiently absorbing nutrients) because he may be "over-hungry". Either condition may or may not be related to the cause of his grey stools. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.