Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I think he is having a seizure. He was running in circles

Customer Question

I think he is having a seizure.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He was running in circles around one of the other dogs.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Mohawk and 2 years old next month
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mohawk
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Mohawk, please? I need to know just what you witnessed that you're describing as a seizure.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have 3 other dogs that suffer seizures sometimes but with them, their muscles start freezing up. Sugar brings them out of it within about a minute. Mohawk was running circles around his brother. His head hardly stays still and looks like he is nodding or looking from side to side all the time and he cannot stay still as he has to move all the time. This I first noticed around 2am and I think he has been moving ever since.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When it was happening his tongue was out slightly, his face had a grimace appearance like a smile, his heart was racing.

Thank you. His behavior can still represent seizure - a complex partial seizure (previously called petit mal and also called psychomotor seizure). However, other encephalopathies (brain disorders) need to be considered as well. At this time his behavior needs to be curtailed lest he becomes hyperthermic and exhausts himself. He should be attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. I would expect his being administered intravenous diazepam to affect. Mark your calendar for this event. His vet will need a track record of events when deciding if Mohawk needs to be administered an anticonvulsant regularly.

My goodness...are you specializing in seizure disorders?!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My regular vet diagnosed Epilepsy for one of my dogs but I believe this to be wrong due to my researching Epilepsy in Dogs. Fudge is the worst and has one about every 6 weeks. Her mother Jasmine has had 2 in 6 years and Sooty has had 1 in 5 years. The only difference here was the seizures as Mohawk's muscles never went stiff. Sooty is mum to Mohawk so it might be genetic. For Jasmine, Fudge & Sooty a small pinch of super deals with it and that is the same as you would do with a human who has low blood sugars. My other dogs are fine and they are all Chihuahua.

Thank you for the additional information. Seizures can manifest as the most subtle facial tic (simple partial seizure) or the wild thrashing of a general seizure (previously called grand mal). Mohawk appeared to suffer a complex partial seizure which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should he suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?