Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She's 11 wks old. She vomited a large hair ball about 5 hrs

Customer Question

She's 11 wks old. She vomited a large hair ball about 5 hrs ago. Has been very wrestles ever since. She has very smelly stool and has gone 5 times in 5 hrs. Still round firmed but mushy to touch. She also vomited white thick liquid a couple times. She's contracting her stomach way in and shaking. She's not drinking or eating. She slept about a half hr and then woke up and just had another round of vomit and poop. Shaking hard again.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about She 's?
Customer: She had ring worm when we got her and was treated and has been urinating very frequently so they treated her for urinary infection and it got better.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She also feels like she may have a fever
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome. I am Dr. B, a licenced veterinarian, and I would like to help you today.First, I would note that if she feels feverish and has kept vomiting I suspect the hairball was a red herring and we may have something more ongoing.Common causes we'd need to consider here are bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites, dietary indiscretion, or ingestion of harmful items. Though if she does have a fever then the infectious concerns would be higher on our list of concerns.With that all in mind, we can try some supportive care to settle het stomach. To start, we can try him an OTC antacid (ie Pepcid -0.5 mg per pound or Zantac -2 mg per pound, every 12 hours). Of course if she has any known health issues or is on any other medication, you'd want to check with your vet first.
Once that is on board, we can plan to try a light diet. We can use small meals of rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese or scrambled eggs. The aim is these are easy to digest and thus reduce gut upset and help her stools too.
Further to this we do need to keep an eye on her hydration. To do so, we want to make sure her gums are moist, and that she hasn't sunken eyes or skin tenting. Any signs of this confirm dehydration creeping in and would be a sign to have her seen ( especially that is often what makes them feel poorly).
Overall we can see these signs with a range of issues. Still, in this case, we can try the above just now to see if we can soothe her stomach. Of course if she cannot keep the above down, is dehydrated already, or doesn't settle in 24 hours, then we'd want to plan to follow up with your vet. That ways they can rule out harmful concerns and start anti-nausea medication by injection +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud and get her settled.Please take care,
Dr. B
------------------------------------
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars ior typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)