Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 25lb blueheeler swallowed some nylon bristles off from a

Customer Question

My 25lb blueheeler swallowed some nylon bristles off from a toothbrush she chomped on. It is late at night and no access to a vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.How is she just now?
Any belly discomfort or vomiting?
Where the stiff bristles or flexible?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She just swallowed them this evening, last night just before bed. No signs of discomfort, yet.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is my daughters baby that I am watching so I am feeling stupid having let her swallow the bristles but she did it in one quick chomp and swallow. She wasn't chewing in the brush. I was actually brushing my labs teeth, who is rather calm, when the heeler interrupted and grabbed the toothbrush.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that she has no discomfort as that is positive for us. If these were to cause her bother we'd more likely see coughing, throat sensitivity or vomiting from stomach irritation. And usually those signs would appear in the first few hours after eating these. To not see these would lessen our concerns of issue here.

Still, we can take a few steps to ensure Musubi passes these without bother. To start, we will want to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will encourage any bristle material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this but given Musubi's lack of signs that is very positive here. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage these to pass while we keep a close eye on her. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your reassurances and info. On steps to help Musubi.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )