Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy was treated for worms at her first visit about a

Customer Question

my puppy was treated for worms at her first visit about a month ago. at the time they didn't see anything in her stool. after the treatment she began having worms in her stool. not moving at first but now alive. she constantly is chewing at her but and I am now finding them in her hair and around the floor and couch. I spoke with her vet and she said not to come in until 1 month(which is Tuesday. im grossed out ant worried for my other dog. should I insist on an appointment tomorrow?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your puppy. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your puppy?
Customer: She is a rescue from Georgia. her mother was killed b another stray. im worried about her sleeping in my sons room and his health as well as my other dog.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** *****'s situation, its not uncommon to see worms after you treat them. This is because the wormer kills or paralyzes the worms causing it to let go of the intestines and pass in stool. (Just to note as the dose lessens in her body that is why some worms are just too weak to hold onto the gut but aren't dead) So, to see worms coming out is actually a sign that the wormer is working. Therefore, you don't need to push for a recheck. You will just want to keep her somewhere easy to clean for the next few days while you let the wormer run its course. As well, do plan to reworm her in a moth (or have the vet test a stool sample for eggs to see if she has adult worms still present) and plan to worm your other dog now to protect her. But again while gross, this is actually a sign that the wormer is working.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.