Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dod neutered Tuesday. Just noticed edema of right front"

Customer Question

Dod neutered Tuesday. Just noticed edema of right front " shoulder area", above right front leg. Had IV in right front leg for surgery. Area is tender to touch, soft, feels like fluid?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not eating or active. No recent meds/ sedative (trazadone)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.Now it's uncommon to see edema in the shoulder with a neuter but if he did have a catheter in that leg we can see fluid accumulate if the catheter slipped out of the vein when fluids were given. Less common issues that could also appear this way include a hematoma if the shoulder perhaps has been bumped when he was being moved or if an abscess is brewing ( though unlikely with this history).
With this all in mind, we'd want to start warm compressing the area 2-3times daily while monitoring. As long as it starts settling, we'd be happy. Though of it is quite sore or not going down, then you can ring his vet for a dog safe anti-inflammatory medication. Or as post operative checks tend to be free, you can pop him in for his vet to sample the swelling and add in the above and/or antibiotics if needed to get this settled.Please take care,
Dr. B
------------------------------------
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars or typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Area was abscess, ruptured at the vet office today,
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Poor Bernie,

As I noted that wasn't our top concern with his history, but I am glad to hear that its been lanced, discharge removed, and hopefully his vet has also started antibiotics to get this fully settled for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** if problem with injection or reaction to medication. IV was in right foot. On antibx and nsaid. Vet was surprised at size of wound, did laser tx as well. Seemed odd location for injection?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Both would be a concern but if the IV catheter had been the issue we'd have expected infection to have tracked from the catheter site and up the arm. So, an injection site abscess would be more likely. And while its an unusual place for an injection, if they gave something intramuscularly during the operation then it could be a place to use (since the vet is at the bottom of the body operating with surgical drapes covering the more usual back leg muscles). And in that case, it would not be unreasonable for a nurse to use that muscle area in the foreleg to give an IM injection since it would be easier for them to access. So, that may have been what happened and Bernie was just unlucky to end up with an infection.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Marguerite,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bernie. How is everything going?

Dr. B.