Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Well she is an 8.5 year old chocolate lab and she licks alot

Customer Question

well she is an 8.5 year old chocolate lab and she licks alot and is a litttle drooly. she is on alprazolam for anxiety issues and I was wondering what would cause a dog to smack and lick her lips alot
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: well she is an 8.5 year old chocolate lab and she licks alot and is a litttle drooly. she is on alprazolam for anxiety issues and I was wondering what would cause a dog to smack and lick her lips alot
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No she seems fine except for the licking, she ate a cookie and drinks water
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dax
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dax?
Customer: nope just that she is on alprazolam for anxiety but that is only when new people come over or if there is thunder or fire works, other than that and a slab fracture of a back tooth ( its never caused her problems) she is in perfect health
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 month ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Dax's drooling. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:How long has this drooling been going on?Does it happen all the time, or just under certain circumstances? I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply.Thank you.