Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

His right eye was swollen this morning. He was acting

Customer Question

His right eye was swollen this morning. He was acting strange and didn't eat his treats last night. I just got home from work now both eyes are swollen. I'm worried sick and can't afford a vet bill. I just gave him a 75 mg rimadyl. What can I do? Can he have benadryl??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He's a big dog. Is over 100# ***** has been healthy. He's 19 months old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My dog's name is Bronson
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I can give you some basic guidelines for this evening but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue or the eye seems swollen.

- Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush

- No rubbing! If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and allow your pet to rest more comfortably (that would be FOUR adult benadryl if he is 100 pounds) every 8 hours to reduce swelling (up to every 6 if it helps)

- A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basis

If flushing has not improved the eye then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not a corneal ulcer that requires medical therapy or another condition that is causing the eye to close due to pain. I suspect with both eyes involved there is an allergic reaction to something and hopefully this will provide relief

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how are Bronson's eyes? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!