Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

Mass in the Vulva, we just adopted Lulu from the shelter

Customer Question

mass in the Vulva
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: we just adopted Lulu from the shelter about a little over a month ago .. Her age is really unknown .. Ill say around 4 or 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lulu?
Customer: We don't see any discharge or discomfort at this point . She went to our vet and was put on steroids .. We wanted to know about surgery or biopsy . Our vet does not do the surgery
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your pet has a mass on her vulva. That is concerning. You also are unsure of her age and wanted to know if you should proceed with either surgical removal or just a biopsy. I would highly recommend surgical removal of the entire mass to send off to histopathology for identification. Most masses of the reproductive system have a tendency to be cancerous, so complete surgical removal is usually part of the recommended treatment. Once the mass is identified then additional therapies (chemo or radiation) may be recommended depending on what type of mass it is.

If your vet does not do this type of surgery, then I would highly recommend asking for a referral for another more qualified vet who will be able to provide this service for Lulu, because it is in her best interest.

Is she otherwise doing well? Any issues urinating or irritation from the mass?

- Dr. H