Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She is not-spaded but her mammary glands are really swollen.

Customer Question

She is not-spaded but her mammary glands are really swollen. One is extremely large and another is half the size.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?
Customer: No, she is happy and when I tough them it doesn't seem to bother her. She eats and drinks well. Only two tits are swallon.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Did she have any puppies recently?

Do you know how long ago she had her last heat cycle?

Are the swollen glands firm, or soft?

Are they painful?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No puppies.
30 t045 days
firm
No she does cry when I squeeze them.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the information. Sorry for wait. I will be right with you.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Chances are that mammary glands have milk production. She may be going through a false pregnancy, where the body thinks they are pregnant but really not. It happens fairly often in dogs. You can try expressing down on the teat to see if any milk comes out. My other concern, especially if she is older (I forgot to ask her age), is if there are mammary tumors. Dogs don't often get cysts in the mammary glands, but that is also possible. Lastly, an infection in the mammary glands can occur (called mastitis). Usually the mammary gland is red, discolored, hot to the touch and often painful with mastitis, so that most likely isn't the case. I think it would be a good idea to have your vet check this out to make sure that it isn't a mass in the mammary glands. More than likely it is milk production, but I would play it on the safe side because that can even turn into an infection if it is excessive and no puppies to nurse. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.
Hi Maureen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I was following up to see how Molly is doing and to see if you have any further questions.