petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My puppy is 16 weeks old and is panting while asleep. I had

Customer Question

Hi, my puppy is 16 weeks old and is panting while asleep. I had trouble sleeping tonight and woke up to him still panting (bed was about 11 and its now 3am). I hadn't noticed this before and just wondered if it is something I should worry about?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Does he pant when he is at rest but awake?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, only if he has played fetch
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is still panting with quick breathing, but he is on his back which is his usual most comfortable position and he doesn't seem hot to touch. He just had C4 booster 4 days ago and he took his monthly worming tablet and flea tablet 1 day ago
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

I would be less worried about it if he was recently examined and found healthy enough to be given a vaccine. Hopefully your vet listened to his heart during the exam to make sure there was no obvious heart murmur (which could indicate possible heart disease) or abnormal lung sounds. It is also less worrisome since he doesn't pant when he is awake unless he is exercising. Puppies can exhibit abnormally increased breathing patterns in their sleep as well as hiccups, but as long as it is not going on all day, when they are awake too, I wouldn't be too worried at this time unless other symptoms develop.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thankyou!
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

You are most welcome.