Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 9 month old lab just ate a half of a tennis ball. is it

Customer Question

my 9 month old lab just ate a half of a tennis ball. is it harmful
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: abby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about abby?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he ate the tennis ball?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, the concern would be a possible obstruction. I would try to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide 3%. This is what you can do:

1- Give her 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the ball in the vomit change her diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the ball in the feces.

4- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.
Hi Martin ,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter