Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I HAVE A DOG AND SHE HAS SOME TYPE OF RASH ON HER CHEST AND

Customer Question

I HAVE A DOG AND SHE HAS SOME TYPE OF RASH ON HER CHEST AND STOMACHE. I SEE NO SIGNS OF FLEAS AND SHE DOESNT SEEM TO BE ITCHING BUT THE BUMPS HAVE GOTTEN LARGER AND SHE HAS A BAD SMELL ALTHOUGH SHE IS BATHED EVERY 2 - 3 WEEKS WITH OATMEAL SHAMPOO.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: SANDY AND SHE IS 4 YEAR OLD GOLDEN MIXED
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: SHE TAKES ADVANTIX FOR FLEA AND TICK PREVENTION AND IS NOT DUE FOR ANOTHER DOSE UNTIL 11/4/16
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

­­Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had this rash?

Are there any crusting, pustules, or pimples with this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
About 3 weeks and she does have crusting. Started with flakes then small bumps appeared but they appear to be getting larger and now have scabs
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just need to know if this requires an office visit now. She is due for her annual next month and im hoping to not have to take her sooner
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if she has a rash with pimples and crusting, then this is suggestive of a bacterial pyoderma. If it is severe and she is very irritated, then it would be ideal to have her seen sooner for oral antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories to treat this from the inside out.

Otherwise, if her signs are mild or there is any delay in having her seen, I do want to note some supportive care you can start. First, you can begin by cleansing any lesions 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness for her. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an e-collar or tshirt (+-/ boxer shorts) on her as a breathable cover to protect this.

As well, since these rashes can often be triggered by an underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, as long as this is not severe; we can try the above for your lass. Of course, if this is causing severe irritation or she doesn't settle with the above; then we'd want to have this checked by her vet as systemic/oral treatment may be needed to clear this for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )